Well, Future Stack 2015 was awesome!
Myself, Aaron Mangal from Network Remedy and host of The Cloud Radio Show had the pleasure of interviewing, Sam Lambert, Director of Systems at GitHub, Chad Berkely CTO of FlightStats, Abner Germanow, Senior Director of Strategic Marketing and Jay Fry, SVP of Marketing and interim CMO of New Relic.
In fact, we recorded a special episode of The Cloud covering Future Stack 2015 featuring the above mentioned thought leaders as well as some reactions and reflections on what was shared at the event.
To hear the Future Stack 2015 Episode please click the links below:
Sam Lambert, Director of Systems at GitHub
Download Mp3 here | Listen to the full interview below:
Chad Berkley, CTO of FlightStats
Download Mp3 | Listen to the full interview below:
Abner Germanow, Senior Director, Strategic Marketing of New Relic
Jay Fry, SVP of Marketing (interim CMO) of New Relic
Download Mp3 | Listen to the full interview below:
What was Future Stack 2015?
Future Stack was an event organized by the New Relic Team to bring together partners, customers, vendors, press, and all other interested parties in the IT and modern software analytics space.
The goal was to teach people about the future of modern software, how it works, and can be used. This included use cases shared from other companies such as Amazon Web Services, GitHub, MLB, NewsCorp, Time, Target, as well as many other peers and thought leaders.
Designed to bring everyone together in a engaging fun format, events included information sessions, vendor exhibit halls, a hacker lounge, breakfast and lunches, an after party with Weird Al Yankovic, Fireside chat with Steve Wozniak, the co-founder of Apple and many other engaging social events, networking and fun times.
Future Stack 2015 took place on November 11-13 in the iconic Fairmont Hotel in Downtown San Francisco.
Insights from FS 2015
- Software is the future. Beyond that, monitoring of said software is a new field emerging, ultimately filling in gaps of knowledge where previously one had to guess about causes and effects. But not now. Solutions like the suite of New Relic software services are providing a tremendous amount of insights previously unavailable to organizations who essentially had to guess and develop insights in a very inaccurate methodology.
- Brick and Mortar as software companies – Many organizations like Target are rapidly finding themselves to be software companies. As companies scale and work to maintain competitive edges, a common insight is how software is a critical fulcrum of innovation for companies previously thought to be non-technical.
- What does the future hold? Companies will be able to iterate quicker (fail forward fast). With these new insights available companies will be able to operate in much more efficient manners. When projects fail, there will be the insights available earlier to justify this decision (versus moving down a dead end path for longer than necessary).
My inspirations from the Woz: What a guy! He is so friendly, creative and excited about life. He encouraged us to be curious and keep inventing. Woz was extremely persistent with his innovation activities, especially in the pre-Apple days. He told a story where he was designing computer architectures on paper. Then, he would rework them in his mind, How can I make this more efficient? How can I use less parts and hardware?
He mentioned how people usually stop inventing once they hit a particular point in terms of money or inventions. But not The Woz! For example, with computers, every time new information and manuals would come out the Woz would continuously update his plans until he has essentially mapped out every possible type of computer architecture.
Ultimately he implored us to “stay true to yourself and follow your passions.”
- Future Stack 2015 – http://futurestack.io/
- New Relic YouTube Channel – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tk0gGDsmUtQ
- Slide Decks from FS ’15 – http://www.slideshare.net/newrelic
- New Relic Blog Posts of Future Stack 2015
- David Kent, Senior Director of Enterprise Architecture at US Foods, slide deck on DevOps – http://www.slideshare.net/DavidKent6/new-relic-future-stack-2015-step-1-in-our-quest-for-devops-at-us-foods-11122015
- Steve Wozniak Talks – http://www.networkworld.com/article/3006242/mobile-wireless/steve-wozniak-talks-steve-jobs-movie-iphone-apple-watch-ipad-pro.html
- Mimosas for Breakfast – http://diginomica.com/2015/11/16/mimosas-for-breakfast-obamacare-as-the-entree-woz-as-dessert-future-stack-15-delivers/
- Sleepless nights, Culture, Customers and Technology – http://diginomica.com/2015/11/18/lew-cirne-ceo-new-relic-on-sleepless-nights-culture-customers-and-technology/
- Sam Lambert, Director of Systems at GitHub – https://twitter.com/isamlambert
- Abner Germanow, Senior Director of Strategic Marketing at New Relic – https://twitter.com/abnerg
- Chad Berkley, CTO of FlightStats – https://twitter.com/offhegoes
- Jay Fry, SVP Marketing (Interim CMO) of New Relic – https://twitter.com/jayfry3