The Cloud Episode 3: Featuring Charles Weaver, J.D. and CEO of the MSPAlliance
The Cloud Episode 3: Cybercrime, Hacking, The Legality of IT, and Evolution of Manages Service Providers (MSPs)
Hello Cloud friend! Welcome back. Thank you thank you, thank you for your interest up til this point. I really believe this is one of our best episodes and I’m so glad you stuck around to hear about it.
We interviewed Charles Weaver, JD and CEO of the MSP Alliance, discussing the NYSE outage, US Airways grounding flights, hacking, IT, Law, MSPs, their effect on society and more.
This series, The Cloud, is a production of Network Remedy Radio and was designed to increase your awareness and understanding of The Cloud, Information Technology and how it affects us.
The show initially emerged in partnership with Paul Roberts, the brains behind OC Talk Radio which is hosted in a live studio, in Costa Mesa in Orange County. He is also the co-host of The Cloud, acting as the voice of the curious common man.
As always please send us your comments, questions suggestions and other feedback so we can incorporate this into future episodes.
Charles Weaver Biography
Charles Weaver, CEO of the MSP Alliance with over 25,000 world-wide members and author of The Art of Managed Services. He has a Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science from Arizona State University and a Juris Doctorate from Texas Wesleyan University School of Law.
In addition to running the daily operations of the MSP Alliance, Charles writes and speaks extensively around the world on the Managed Services industry.
After listening to this episode, you will learn:
- How Charles got into the MSP world
- What role our legal system plays in protecting the public
- Are we ready as a nation to deal with the liability of security breaches?
- The definition of an MSP and how it evolved into what it is today
- What the break-fix era was and how it is evolving
- How this new enterprise has surpassed the Global Drug Trade
- Why we must be more careful than even in today’s cyber landscape
- The role IT has in the law and the law in IT
- The role of the State in cybersecurity
- How MSPs can help the government be prepared for The Information Age we are in
- The nature of liability of patient records
- The cost of inaction or lack of adequate action
- How there is a lack of codification for MSPs operations
- How Europe is working on Cloud setting up Cloud regulations
- How do customers know which MSPs are competent
- How a hairdresser is more regulated than your MSP
- The importance of due diligence when evaluating IT Service providers
- How the MSP alliance has a system of verification for MSPs
Recommended Resources for Further Reading
- NYSE outage article – http://money.cnn.com/2015/07/08/investing/nyse-down-your-questions-answered/
- United Airlines grounding flights – http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-united-flights-grounded-20150708-story.html
- Europe Cloud Regulations – http://www.computing.co.uk/ctg/news/2413109/eus-new-data-protection-regulations-will-kill-cloud-computing-warn-amazon-cisco-ibm-and-sap
- Cybercrime – http://www.tripwire.com/state-of-security/regulatory-compliance/pci/cybercrime-is-now-more-profitable-than-the-drug-trade/
- MSP Alliance – http://www.mspalliance.com/
- Certification for MSPs – http://www.mspalliance.com/UCS/